Love is messy. From the stumbling over one’s words to say hi, to the awkward getting to know each other phase; to the making up after the first fight, to the making plans for the first Valentine’s day together.
All of it is dramatic.
And we here at Dinu understand the struggles, which is why we want to make sure your Valentine’s Day goes a little smoother this year. Relax! Leave it to us!
So what are the main components to any Valentine’s Day?
- Flowers – more specifically, roses
- Good food
- Date-like activities
- Good company – a boy or girl that you (preferably) like
So let’s start with the flowers!
Okay, roses become more expensive than a nugget of gold the closer we get to Valentine’s Day. So why not give the tradition a different twist? Take a few red and white serviettes and create a bouquet that will never wilt.
Watch this tutorial to help you make the most amazing bouquet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2E0-G1wi0I
We had a little fun in the office and created our own bouquet! (And decorated the office – keep an eye out for that little adventure!)
We all want to impress our crush or significant other – that goes without saying. But keeping it simple does not mean you’re sacrificing on the romance!
A few tips:
- Never try a recipe the day you are meant to make it. Sometimes even the simplest of recipes require a little finesse. So try it out before the big date. How does the saying go again…? Oh yes, “practice makes perfect”.
- Clean up while you are cooking. Keeping things tidy as you go is a lot less stressful than having to clean a crazy looking kitchen just before your date arrives! Lucky for you, Dinu has the perfect solution to mop up spills and keep surfaces clean – the mighty household towel! These are super handy to keep around!
- If you’re going out to a restaurant – read the reviews if you’ve never been there before. This simple preparation will definitely help minimise on the anxious butterflies dancing in your tummy.
- Eat what you want. Who cares about the debate on whether or not your partner should see you wolf down a 1kg Eisbein on the first date?! If they truly like you, they will like to see you enjoying yourself – and food is joy, let’s be honest. That being said – let’s remember our table manners.
A few easy and delicious recipes to try:
Creamy Tuscan chicken: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19636089/creamy-tuscan-chicken-recipe/
Cauliflower bisque with brown butter croutons: https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a41064/cauliflower-bisque-with-brown-butter-croutons/
Strawberry cheesecake flapjacks: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a43665/strawberry-cheesecake-flapjacks-recipe/
Good restaurants to visit:
- La Colombe (Constantia, Cape Town)
- Wolfgat (Paternoster)
- Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Elandsfontein, Pretoria)
- Overture (Stellenbosch)
- Chef’s Warehouse at Maison (Franschoek)
- Mustang Sally’s Pub & Diner (Hatfield, Pretoria)
- Views at Twenty5 (Morningside, Durban)
- Saigon Suzy Asian BBQ & Rock ‘n Roll Bar (Parkwood, Johannesburg)
- Coobs (Parkhurst, Johannesburg)
- Republik (Durban North)
Covid has made us rethink how we do things, dating included. Not only do we have to worry about the first kiss, but now we have to worry about cooties too. Literally.
Because we love all of you dearly, we’ve made a short-list to help you plan your special date:
- Play tourist in your hometown. Go see all the local landmarks or must-see attractions in your area.
- Go on a hike. A lot more people seem to have become active during the pandemic – so why not get your blood pumping while exploring nature?! At least you’ll have an excuse for your blush!
- See a comedy show. Laughing really gets the endorphins flowing and breaks the ice wonderfully.
5. Take a wine tour or tour a brewery. By the end of it, you’d have calmed the butterflies right down to a gentle hum.
6. Have a photoshoot. Take photos of each other as you go out and about on your travels.
7. Play 20 questions. This allows you to get to know the person across from you, while minimising on the awkward silences. Stuck with what to ask? Try this list out: https://lifehacks.io/21-questions-game/
For the full list of activities we looked up, browse through this page: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/relationships/a31405192/cute-romantic-date-ideas/
As for the Covid worry – it is not romantic or sexy to make your date sick. Stay at home if you’re not feeling well.
That’s it, we have done all we can.
We know that the “good company” step is missing – this part is unfortunately all in your hands. Ask that girl or boy out – take the plunge! Love is messy either way, you may as well make the mess worth your time cleaning it.
Go out and have a good time kids!
P.S – Curfew is at 11pm! Don’t drink and drive! Be safe!
Delish. 2021. Perfect Flank Steak. [online] Available at: <https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58238/easy-flank-steak-marinade-recipe/> [Accessed 27 January 2021].
Delish. 2021. This Creamy Tuscan Chicken Makes Weeknights Feel Special. [online] Available at: <https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19636089/creamy-tuscan-chicken-recipe/> [Accessed 27 January 2021].
Country Living. 2021. Cauliflower Bisque with Brown Butter Croutons. [online] Available at: <https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a41064/cauliflower-bisque-with-brown-butter-croutons/> [Accessed 27 January 2021].
Good Housekeeping. 2021. You Can Make Perfect French Toast at Home in Four Easy Steps. [online] Available at: <https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a32584903/how-to-make-french-toast-recipe/> [Accessed 27 January 2021].
Good Housekeeping. 2021. Strawberry Cheesecake Flapjacks. [online] Available at: <https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a43665/strawberry-cheesecake-flapjacks-recipe/> [Accessed 27 January 2021].
Good Housekeeping. 2021. 100 Cute and Romantic Date Ideas That Will Totally Change Your Game. [online] Available at: <https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/relationships/a31405192/cute-romantic-date-ideas/> [Accessed 27 January 2021].